Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas

Well, it's that time of year again. Christmas is right up there with my birthday as far as my favorite holidays go. However, this year it's been hard to really get into the Christmas spirit. Christmas is all about home, family, and our Savior. Those are the biggies anyway. But without a place that we really call home (yet) it is hard to get out all the decorations, put up the tree, bake cookies, etc. We just don't have much room in the place we are renting right now and so Chris and are debating on what to get out and what to keep packed up. We literally put up 25% of our tree in a small corner. It's rather pathetic, but you just can't have Christmas without a tree. Chris got out the box of decorations and I was thinking about what I really wanted to have out this year and then Chris reminded me of the Nativity set that we got last year. I completely forgot about it. I found this beautiful Nativity on clearance before Christmas last year from a store that was going out of business. I love it! When Chris reminded me about it, I knew that if we put up nothing else, this had to be out for us to see. It was so much fun to tell Marlie all about each of the people represented in the scene. About Mary and Joseph and the baby Jesus. She loves the Shepards and Wise Men and their animals. I recently taught her the sign for Jesus and although it is sort of a difficult sign, she has picked up on it really quick and loves to point out anything that resembles Jesus. It is Marlie's sweet little spirit and our humble circumstances that has helped me really remember what Christmas is all about. It's not about the lights, the stockings, the yummy candles and the ribbons and bows. Don't get me wrong - I love all these things and everything about Christmas, however, for a change it is nice to step out of the world for a moment and remember that the Christ child had nothing when he was born. In a lowly manger, a kind and humble mother gave birth to our beloved Savior. Just a few people came to see the new baby, bringing what gifts they had for him. For who he lived to be, you would've thought that he'd have a grander celebration for his birth... rather than Santa Clause anyway! I'm so excited for Marlie's Christmas this year. She is now old enough to get a grasp on why we sing songs and open gifts. She doesn't have a clue who Santa is (wonder how long that will last?!). We watched Joy to the World, a beautiful movie about the birth of our Lord and Savior earlier this week and Marlie actually sat still through most of it! (She won't sit still for Sesame Street!!!) I love that little girl and I'm glad that she is helping me remember what Christmas is truly all about!

You can watch Joy to the World at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qPT1pRiQiA

No comments:

Post a Comment